High cost efficiency
- In offshore, Siemens Gamesa is the number one player in the market, with the largest installed base and the largest order book in the industry, with more than 70% of market share.
- The offshore wind market is growing strongly, delivering a long-term cumulative market growth of 13% globally up to 2025, led by installations in Europe, followed by China, Taiwan, and the US.
- We aim to retain the number one position in Europe and China with a unique brand and mature value chain that will allow us to capture the pole position in emerging markets, such as the US or Taiwan.
- At the same time, our state-of-the-art technologies and solutions for offshore help us to secure continued LCoE reductions, essential in a subsidy-free offshore market.
- With this objective, we will continue improving competitiveness of our Direct Drive platform through technology and setting a solid foundation for a future step-change to a new platform by 2020.
Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy was recently awarded exclusivity by the Danish Ørsted energy group for the supply and service of wind turbines at the Hornsea Project Two offshore wind project being developed in British waters. Here, we will install SG 8.0-167 DD turbines with a total capacity of 1,386 MW. This will be the world's largest offshore wind power plant when operational in 2022. It will also be the largest offshore project in our history, surpassing the biggest to date which was Hornsea One (1,218 MW). Located 89 kilometers off the east coast of England, the wind power plant will span 462 km². The nacelles will be produced at our factory in Cuxhaven, Germany, while the majority of blades will be made at the factory in Hull, UK, where the pre-assembly work will also be carried out. Towers are expected to be partly sourced from UK suppliers.
"We are very pleased that Ørsted has again placed its trust in Siemens Gamesa. Hornsea Project Two will be a benchmark in Europe, not only on account of its size but also its technology. Siemens Gamesa will install the latest model of its offshore platform at this facility. The SG 8.0-167 DD boosts annual output by 20% and offers higher returns," underscored Andreas Nauen, Offshore CEO at SGRE, who also highlighted the fact that offshore wind power is playing an increasingly important role in Europe's energy mix.