Hybrid power & storage
More powerful together
Imagine the possibilities by balancing the energy generated by solar during the day with the wind, which is usually stronger at night. Depending on the location and hourly profile, a hybrid system can optimize energy feed-in, grid stability and capacity factor.
In addition, customers can save costs and achieve a higher energy production by sharing land, grid infrastructure and maintenance services for the different assets.
The hybrid power solution allows for the integration of one or more renewable power generation assets with our tailored energy storage systems – heat or battery storage – adding to the profitability of the project.
Off-Grid solutions are a combination of wind, solar, storage, and diesel generators operating independently of the power grid. The first pilot power plant “La Plana” was commissioned in 2016. It combines four different energy sources with a battery storage solution, consisting of a lithium-ion battery and a newly installed redox-flow battery system.
With the On-Grid solution, customers can design their hybrid plant individually and integrate various power generation assets optionally with a storage solution. The first commercial On-Grid hybrid project combines a 29 MW solar system with a 50 MW wind farm and was installed 2017 in India. It will be followed by a pioneering wind complex in Australia in 2020, where we combine a 194 MW wind farm with a battery storage system.
ETES draws electricity from the power grid and uses it to heat stones to temperatures of up to 600°C. Later, that heat can be converted back into electricity through the use of a conventional steam turbine. The system uses at least 80% off-the-shelf components and can function alone, be added to an existing heat cycle or convert a thermal power plant into a storage plant.
A multidisciplinary team takes care of your specific needs and optimizes your business case through technical and economic tools:
- Generation curve models determine the optimal balance of all assets
- Micro-siting design of the hybrid plant based on in-house expertise both in wind and solar PV
- Choose between turnkey or supply and installation offerings
- Inverters, power conditioning systems ‘battery chargers’, and power electronics are manufactured in-house
- Advanced output and control technology with Hybrid Plant Controller based on WinNet®PRO and Offgrid Plant Controller
- Energy Management System and the forecasting tool MEGA maximize revenues of hybrid plants
- Operation and maintenance cost reduction by sharing of resources and infrastructure